#341 new
Kaushik Chakraborty

OpenPGP encrypted mail send error

Reported by Kaushik Chakraborty | February 7th, 2013 @ 02:43 AM


I've installed the required gpg2 tools (MacGPG2-57n.dmg , GPG Keychain Access-187n.dmg) from here https://nightly.gpgtools.org/

I did add a new key with a strong passphrase using GPG Keychain Access. The configuration of the same remained default i.e I did not change any algorithm, etc.

Now when I'm trying to send a new message from MM (with security preferences having the Composer as OpenPGP, sign by default & encrypt by default as always), I'm asked to provide the same passphrase for the key. As I provide the same I see the following error in the message box with title "OpenPGP signing and/or encryption failed" :

USERID_HINT 693E29886230379A Kaushik Chakraborty (Key) <kaychaks@gmail.com>
NEED_PASSPHRASE 693E29886230379A D212B3BDDE43E75D 1 0
INV_RECP 0 <destination email>

ps - destination email is an actual email address

Comments and changes to this ticket

  • benny

    benny February 7th, 2013 @ 10:30 AM

    Thanks for the feedback.

    Error codes can be found here. Unfortunately INV_RECP 0 is

    0 :: No specific reason given

    You can enable security related debug output from MailMate as follows:

    defaults write com.freron.MailMate MmDebugSecurity -bool YES

    Output can be found in Console.app.

    Part of that is the gpg2 command and the arguments used. You can try that on the command line and then see if it still fails. Then use that as a starting point to finding out what goes wrong -- and then blame MailMate if MailMate is doing something wrong :-)

  • Kaushik Chakraborty

    Kaushik Chakraborty February 7th, 2013 @ 06:33 PM

    Thanks for the prompt reply (and if I'm not wrong, while being on a vacation).

    Anyway, I could resolve the issue after removing and re-installing gpg2. That was the culprit & my newbie knowledge on openpgp & encryption methodologies per se.

    Thanks again.

  • benny

    benny February 8th, 2013 @ 06:26 AM

    • State changed from “new” to “resolved”

    Glad you found the problem. Somewhat related I've found the following setting in .gnupg/gpg.conf to be useful if you want gpg2 to automatically look for public recipient keys on key servers:

    keyserver-options auto-key-retrieve

    Note that MailMate currently does this on the main thread and therefore MailMate could be hanging if the key server is hanging (or is just slow).

Please Sign in or create a free account to add a new ticket.

With your very own profile, you can contribute to projects, track your activity, watch tickets, receive and update tickets through your email and much more.

New-ticket Create new ticket

Create your profile

Help contribute to this project by taking a few moments to create your personal profile. Create your profile ยป

Mac OS X email client.

Shared Ticket Bins

People watching this ticket