#1851 reproduced
Deleted User

Crash while/after syncing IMAP account

Reported by Deleted User | October 15th, 2017 @ 09:11 PM

Setup details:
- 2015 15'' rMBP - macOS High Sierra 10.13 - MailMate Version 1.9.7 (5425)


starting today, when I launch Mailmate, it starts syncing my IMAP account and then crashes after a few seconds.

I changed the username of my macOs user earlier today so that might be related.

Comments and changes to this ticket

  • benny

    benny October 16th, 2017 @ 06:33 AM

    • State changed from “new” to “reproduced”

    Yes, the username change is a problem. Something I hadn't thought of.

    The problem is the custom location setting in the General preferences pane. As it is now MailMate cannot find the correct Messages folder. There's a symbolic link in this folder which doesn't point to the correct location:

    ~/Library/Application Support/MailMate/

    If you know how to do this then you could manually fix it in a Terminal window using the ln -s command, but otherwise it's probably better if you locate the Messages folder which is probably here:


    And move it back into:

    ~/Library/Application Support/MailMate/

    I hope this helps. I'll note to see if I can make MailMate robust with respect to username changes.

    (I won't be online today. Sorry about the delay in my responses.)

  • Deleted User

    Deleted User October 16th, 2017 @ 07:02 AM

    Thanks, correcting the symlink helped.

    I changed this:

    Messages -> /Users/<oldname>/Library/Application Support/MailMate/Messages.noindex


    Messages -> Messages.noindex

    So in this case, relative symlinks seem to work. Maybe that helps?

    Thanks again for the help and for a great Mail client. :)

  • benny

    benny October 17th, 2017 @ 06:02 AM

    Ok, this was actually a different problem case than the one I was thinking of (but essentially the same problem). Thanks for the details.

  • benny

    benny October 24th, 2017 @ 09:05 PM

    • State changed from “reproduced” to “fixcommitted”

    The next release of MailMate uses relative paths when making the symlinks. Both within the folder itself and when using a custom location. That should fix this and related issues. (It won't fix existing setups automatically. That'll only happen if the user changes the Spotlight setting or the custom location setting.)

    Again, thanks for the report.

  • benny

    benny December 13th, 2017 @ 02:10 PM

    • State changed from “fixcommitted” to “fixreleased”

Please Sign in or create a free account to add a new ticket.

With your very own profile, you can contribute to projects, track your activity, watch tickets, receive and update tickets through your email and much more.

New-ticket Create new ticket

Create your profile

Help contribute to this project by taking a few moments to create your personal profile. Create your profile ยป

Mac OS X email client.

Shared Ticket Bins

People watching this ticket