#1790 ✓resolved
Stefan Doehla

Lags in the UI

Reported by Stefan Doehla | June 27th, 2017 @ 05:11 PM

Hi Benny,

when I do a bit more with my emails (and especially if I use server-based filtering with many mailboxes) then MailMate seems to hang quite often in the UI, e.g. when editing a mail or when scrolling through a mail. The BBOD (or spinning wheel, pizza, whatever, ...) then indicates to me that it's very busy right now. I can of course type and it'll catch up eventually, but this is not very responsive.

This all seems to me like a multi-threading issue where the check for mail in my mailboxes seems to hold me back from UI actions (editing, scrolling, ...). Not sure how easy that'd be to be solved, but it's more frequent lately that I started to use imapfilter again to perform dispatching of my incoming mails.

Simply let me know whether this is a known issue or whether it could be easily addressed.

Cheers,
-Stefan

Comments and changes to this ticket

  • Stefan Doehla

    Stefan Doehla July 2nd, 2017 @ 07:56 AM

    • Tag changed from bbod to bbod, virusscan

    After a bit of further searching, it seems not ony recently I switched to imapfilter, but also reactivated my virus scanner. So it is likely it is is e.g. a dupe of #694 . Since the scanner is remote-managed I can't add the folder to the excluded folders list. So do you think there's a possibility to parallelize some actions to remove/reduce the lags?

    For my admins it would also help if the exclusions are documented in the manual (including some statements what's in there so that they can safely assume there are no malicious files in this folder that can get executed / opened).

  • benny

    benny October 2nd, 2017 @ 01:28 PM

    • State changed from “new” to “accepted”

    Sorry about the late reply. Is this still an issue?

    I guess I could write something in the manual about this issue, but I guess most users would still encounter it without knowing what to do. It's unfortunately quite hard to work around an issue caused by some other application randomly removing files that MailMate expects to exist.

    What I might be able to do is to get rid of the delays when MailMate cannot find a file on disk. They should be, kind of, unnecessary. And this might actually be sufficient to solve the problem.

  • Stefan Doehla

    Stefan Doehla October 2nd, 2017 @ 01:35 PM

    Removing unneeded delays could indeed actually solve the problem (I don't think my virus scanner is the real bottleneck as it is normally quite fast as long as it scans only on write). I'm also not sure whether some 'optimistic pre-fetching' could help here to remove the need for IO operations on demand (but rather use the memory cache, at least for what's seen in the UI).

    In addition, a credible statement in the online manual would still help to convince my admins that there's nothing executable in a folder they're asked to add to the exclude list.

  • Stefan Doehla

    Stefan Doehla October 12th, 2017 @ 12:18 PM

    Hi Benny, not sure the change in r6093 is what you proposed. But I'm right now in a situation where I typically ran into the BBOD issue, and it seems to be gone and MailMate seems much more responsive (I run r6093). Am I right your change in r5093 addressed this?

  • benny

    benny October 12th, 2017 @ 08:59 PM

    Yes, in the 2.0BETA I've removed a delay previously used to work around an issue -- this might actually have been to work around the virus detector issue (because I did not really understand it yet). There's a risk though that it was introduced to handle some other issue, but in that case I should soon start to get error reports about that. We'll see what happens.

  • benny

    benny October 12th, 2017 @ 09:01 PM

    Since you had delays before then we know MailMate had trouble locating messages. This might be messages removed by antivirus software, but it could also be messages missing for some other reason. Keep an eye out for messages which no longer exists on disk (MailMate shows a replacement message describing the problem).

  • benny

    benny November 23rd, 2017 @ 08:07 AM

    • State changed from “accepted” to “resolved”

    Let me know if you have an update on this issue.

Please Sign in or create a free account to add a new ticket.

With your very own profile, you can contribute to projects, track your activity, watch tickets, receive and update tickets through your email and much more.

New-ticket Create new ticket

Create your profile

Help contribute to this project by taking a few moments to create your personal profile. Create your profile ยป

Mac OS X email client.

Shared Ticket Bins

People watching this ticket

Pages