#340 new
Jason Davies

very unresponsive/high CPU usage for over half hour

Reported by Jason Davies | February 6th, 2013 @ 07:49 PM

Mailmate updated itself and began synchronising with an Exchange-IMAP server. This is a trial run of Mailmate and I put a lot of emails (perhaps 3-4,000?) into the archive from a Mailsmith filestore on another machine since I last launched on this machine.

Mailmate seems to be updating this large number of records. The issue is that it's virtually unresponsive while doing so. On a Mac Pro 2.8 GHz quad-core with an SSD start up (I'm very impatient!) it's using around 100% CPU (as reported by Activity Monitor) and is unusable (clicking on a mailbox brings that to focus after about 4-5 minutes at the most). Is there a way to use it while it does this updating in the background? I can spare the CPU but would like some responsiveness;)

Sample attached in case it's any help.

Comments and changes to this ticket

  • benny

    benny February 9th, 2013 @ 09:59 AM

    First, sorry for the late response.

    That does sound much slower than it should be. How many messages do you have on this machine already? (The everything-is-a-smart-mailbox design of MailMate means that adding new messages is slower when the number of messages increases.)

    Do you have any advanced/extensive usage of smart mailboxes? Maybe send the following file with private email (http://freron.com/contact):

    ~/Library/Application Support/MailMate/Mailboxes.plist

    When I have time then I could try to reproduce the issue. You'll have to be patient since I'm on a one-month vacation.

  • Jason Davies

    Jason Davies February 13th, 2013 @ 07:11 PM

    Hi Benny

    I hope you enjoy/ed the vacation;)
    I'm afraid that by the time I got this (which arrived while I was also away) I had significantly changed the mailbox structure. Mailmate settled down when it had got a lot of the archive (about 25,000 messages, very roughly) and began being usabel again. That took about an hour or two. I also suspect the Exchange-IMAP server was not helping and giving timeouts (people have been complaining about this recently).

    Sorry that's not much use as a report, I know. I can send the plist next week when I'm back home if you still want to try it. I think it was the Archive folder that was updating and monopolising the CPU so maybe it will be of some use...

  • benny

    benny February 15th, 2013 @ 09:14 AM

    • State changed from “new” to “closed”

    I won't be back until March 8th. I'm actually writing this while being offline since the wifi at our current guest house (Krabi, Thailand) seems to not work today.

    If you had any custom smart mailboxes then you are welcome to send the plist.


Please Sign in or create a free account to add a new ticket.

With your very own profile, you can contribute to projects, track your activity, watch tickets, receive and update tickets through your email and much more.

New-ticket Create new ticket

Create your profile

Help contribute to this project by taking a few moments to create your personal profile. Create your profile ยป

Mac OS X email client.

Shared Ticket Bins

People watching this ticket