#1078 ✓cantreproduce
Steve Mayer

New HTML code in 1.9(r5074) is corrupting display of message

Reported by Steve Mayer | March 18th, 2015 @ 05:34 PM

I'm assuming that the change: 'First few steps towards improved handling of HTML messages' has modified the way certain HTML based emails are viewed.

What I'm seeing now is an HTML email containing what appears to be plain text with no formatting whatsoever. All of the lines in the email are running together with no line breaks in between them.

If I choose to view the HTML source code, the message formatting looks correct, or if I view Raw source, the message looks correct. Also, if I reply to one of these messages, the formatting in the reply is correct!

I'd send what I'm seeing, but it's from my work email and can't send it out. Is there anything else I can provide to you to try and clarify this situation?

Comments and changes to this ticket

  • benny

    benny March 18th, 2015 @ 07:23 PM

    • State changed from “new” to “cantreproduce”

    Your theory might be right, but it's not obvious to me how the changes would affect HTML display. (They are mostly related to generation of HTML messages.) I've also tried viewing a lot of HTML emails without seeing this issue.

    Could you try launching from the Terminal and see if any error messages are output:

    /Applications/MailMate.app/Contents/MacOS/MailMate
    

    Thanks in advance.

  • Steve Mayer

    Steve Mayer March 18th, 2015 @ 07:34 PM

    Oddly enough, after exiting and starting MailMate again, I'm not seeing the issue. Emails that were previously displayed incorrectly are now shown properly...

    No odd output on the console either.

    I've tried restarting a number of times now and am not able to get the original issue to reproduce.

    Might as well close this..

  • benny

    benny March 19th, 2015 @ 08:41 AM

    I've close it as cantreproduce. I suspect the problem was related to MailMate being unable to run an external script to generate the HTML. I'm not sure what triggers this, but it could be some kind of MailMate bug where MailMate runs out of so-called file descriptors. Let me know if it happens again.

Please Sign in or create a free account to add a new ticket.

With your very own profile, you can contribute to projects, track your activity, watch tickets, receive and update tickets through your email and much more.

New-ticket Create new ticket

Create your profile

Help contribute to this project by taking a few moments to create your personal profile. Create your profile »

Mac OS X email client.

Shared Ticket Bins

People watching this ticket

Pages