#921 new
Benjamin Stiglitz

Low frame rate scrolling large message list on Yosemite

Reported by Benjamin Stiglitz | October 8th, 2014 @ 02:24 AM

After upgrading to Yosemite my ~3000 message INBOX scrolls at just a few fps. Reproduces on two machines with completely different hardware. Sample attached, happy to collect any other useful logs.

Comments and changes to this ticket

  • benny

    benny October 9th, 2014 @ 01:42 PM

    I did have some issues myself (apparently triggered by the table view pre-computing quite a lot of non-displayed lines), but I did some optimizations and believed it was resolved.

    I would appreciate if you could try a (very experimental) 64 bit version of MailMate available here. Does that make a difference?

    Could you also send a screenshot of your message list. It may be related to the selection of table columns. Use “View ▸ Distortion Mode” to keep it private.

    Thanks in advance.

  • Benjamin Stiglitz

    Benjamin Stiglitz October 10th, 2014 @ 03:32 PM

    This build is much better, thank you! Screenshot attached.

    Please let me know if you’ve filed any Radars about the view-refreshing issue; I’ll relate them to an issue we’re tracking internally here at Apple (where I’ve been proselytizing MailMate to managers who get a lot of e-mail).

  • benny

    benny October 14th, 2014 @ 07:31 AM

    Sorry about the late response. I missed your update due to an issue with lighthouse (which was partly an issue with my server not accepting >10MB attachments).

    First: I believe the next 32 bit version should have the same performance. Also note that the 64 bit revision you have now won't automatically update to never releases.

    I haven't filed any radars since I haven't really been able to claim that it is a bug. MailMate generates the content for the messages outline dynamically and this is sufficiently fast if only the displayed items are needed. On Yosemite though it appears quite a lot of “pre-fetching” is done. I'm getting data source requests for a lot of data not displayed. Furthermore, it appears that simply switching between windows triggers all of this data to be requested again.

    I've improved the performance by caching various steps in the dynamic computations (I probably need to do more), but switching between windows was still slow. I've tracked down that this happens in this private NSView method:

    - (void)_windowChangedKeyState
    

    MailMate is not in the App Store and therefore I can override and disable this for the messages outline, but this is a hack and I need to find another approach since I don't really know what I might be disabling (now or in the future).

    Oh, and thanks for proselytizing ;-)

Please Sign in or create a free account to add a new ticket.

With your very own profile, you can contribute to projects, track your activity, watch tickets, receive and update tickets through your email and much more.

New-ticket Create new ticket

Create your profile

Help contribute to this project by taking a few moments to create your personal profile. Create your profile »

Mac OS X email client.

Shared Ticket Bins

People watching this ticket

Pages