#680 accepted
JKW

How to cancel a multiple-message operation?

Reported by JKW | March 19th, 2014 @ 11:17 PM

I'm having a problem cancelling a rather large operation gone wrong.

One of my IMAP accounts was over quota, so I tried moving an entire folder of messages to the trash. Unfortunately, I think I accidentally chose the wrong destination folder, because I started getting the following error:

Server response: “J53 NO Over quota”. Command attempted: “J53 UID COPY 1309:1311,1540:1636 "Deleted Messages"”.

This pops up individually for every single mail message. My options are "Take Mailbox Offline" or "Retry".

"Take Mailbox Offline" marks my mailbox as offline, but doesn't stop the errors from appearing. "Retry" lets me close the mail message, but then of course I get the next error.

I have since deleted the messages through the webmail to solve the over-quota problem, but it hasn't stopped the errors from showing up in MailMate. At this point, the only way for me to close MailMate is to Force Quit it.

Is there anything I can do to fix this short of reinstalling MailMate from scratch?

Comments and changes to this ticket

  • benny

    benny March 20th, 2014 @ 08:16 AM

    What happens if you restart MailMate with the machine offline. If this stops the requester then it should be possible to locate the messages moved and move them back to their source mailbox (canceling the move).

    You can identify incomplete message moves by enabling the UID column in the messages outline. Any message without a UID has not been uploaded/moved on the server.

    I don't understand why “Over quota” continues if you have deleted the messages on the server. Are you sure they are not just moved to “Deleted Messages” on the server which probably does not affect the free quota?

  • JKW

    JKW March 22nd, 2014 @ 02:07 AM

    Thanks for the suggestions. I've tried them, with results explained below.

    To be clear, I am definitely under quota right now (at 37% capacity), so I don't know why the "over quote" error persists. I deleted the messages in question through my webmail, partially because I needed the space, and partially because I hoped it would cancel the operations in MailMate.

    • Restarting MailMate with all accounts offline: didn't seem to do anything. (I did have to force quit, but the mailboxes stayed offline)
    • Finding messages with no UIDs: They definitely exist!
    • Moving messages with no UIDs: I tried moving these back to the folder they came from originally. This is where things get weird:

      • From within MailMate, I can see that the messages are back in their original folder, though many (about 1000/1100) still do not have UIDs.
      • I can see a small subset of these messages in the original folder through my webmail. About 80 moved back on their own. However, for the rest, the individual errors persist.
      • If I hit "Retry", the error goes away, I can close the message, it receives a UID, and the number of messages in the original folder (as seen through the webmail interface) increases by 1.
      • If I hit "Take Mailbox Offline", the mail message closes, my mailbox goes offline; once I take the mailbox online again, the number of messages in the original folder increases by 1.

    (For the record, the error I have now is still: Server response: “J10 NO Over quota”. Command attempted: “J10 UID COPY 1129:1130,1312:1354,1637:1691 "Deleted Messages"”.)

  • benny

    benny March 22nd, 2014 @ 07:25 AM

    • State changed from “new” to “accepted”

    Thanks for the update. I checked the code and it seems the above can happen if moving messages and then deleting them from their source server-side (like you did at some point). MailMate should otherwise have offered you to “Cancel Move” instead of “Take Mailbox Offline” -- but maybe this doesn't work as expected. Oh, I can see that this would actually happen once per message — I'll note that this is what needs to be improved to handle this situation.

    I believe you can fix the problem without rebuilding the database by deleting some files. Do it like this from the Terminal:

    rm ~/Library/Application\ Support/MailMate/Database.noindex/Headers/#imap-protocol-error.*
    

    Let me know whether or not that works for you.

    I'll keep the ticket open to track any improvements when dealing with this type of error.

  • JKW

    JKW March 22nd, 2014 @ 09:21 AM

    Yes, that Terminal command seems to have worked! Thank you :)

    I don't remember seeing any "Cancel Move" options even before deleting server-side, but I may be wrong.

    PS - The only reason I tried moving so many messages at once in the first place is that MailMate has deftly handled everything I've thrown at it so far! Thanks for making such a robust program.

Please Sign in or create a free account to add a new ticket.

With your very own profile, you can contribute to projects, track your activity, watch tickets, receive and update tickets through your email and much more.

New-ticket Create new ticket

Create your profile

Help contribute to this project by taking a few moments to create your personal profile. Create your profile ยป

Mac OS X email client.

Shared Ticket Bins

People watching this ticket

Pages