#640 new
Alex

MailMate visibly freezes when new email arrives or when creating a new message

Reported by Alex | February 18th, 2014 @ 03:32 PM

Whenever a new email arrives or whenever I create a new message my MailMate visibly freezes (for 1-2 seconds) before proceeding.

I am not sure what is the reason - as far as I recall, it was not happening in older versions of MailMate.

I am running Mac OS X 10.9.1 (13B42) and the latest version of MailMate.

Comments and changes to this ticket

  • benny

    benny February 18th, 2014 @ 04:20 PM

    It could be a slow smart mailbox update. I fixed an issue with date based smart mailboxes which could make updating them slower. Try sending me this file and I'll review it:

    ~/Library/Application Support/MailMate/Mailboxes.plist
    

    How many messages do you have (estimate)?

  • Alex

    Alex February 18th, 2014 @ 08:40 PM

    I have over 45000 messages between my two email accounts, so this indeed might be the reason here.

    Any advice on how to make managing such large collection of emails fast in MailMate? (I frequently need to look back through my old emails.)

  • benny

    benny February 19th, 2014 @ 01:08 PM

    45K should not be a problem. Try sending me the Mailboxes.plist file (“Help ▸ Send Feedback” in MailMate). I think you have some smart mailbox which triggers a performance problem.

  • Brad Eaton

    Brad Eaton February 20th, 2014 @ 02:10 PM

    I'm experiencing the same problem, only worse. I've just starting to use MailMate for the first time. I do have a rather large mailbox. I'm not sure about the total number of messages, but it's probably in the neighborhood of ~600,000 to 700,000. I keep mail organized in folders representing years. I have 2001-2014 folders and then a dozen or so other folders that have a couple thousand messages each. I'm still trying to get all the mail synced from the server, but while it's doing that the app is not usable. I would expect the code fetching from the IMAP server to be on a completely different thread that doesn't affect the UI. Is that not the case?

    UPDATE: I have taken my "Saved Items" folder (where all my year folders are) offline. This makes the app usable for a while. So now it's only having to sync the Inbox, Deleted Items, Sent Items, etc... I can see that it's syncing the Sent Items folder. There are a LOT of messages in here (13 years worth). The longer the app runs, the slower it gets. So it's very usable at first and then about 30 or 45 mins in, it slows down to unusable again.

    Don't know if this is helpful or not, but when I started the sync yesterday, our MIS dept. told me that they were getting errors in the IMAP server log about maximum number of connections exceeded.

  • Alex

    Alex February 20th, 2014 @ 03:43 PM

    Thinking more about it, I now realize that additional problem might be my "spam filter" that I implemented in Mailmate, which works as a smartbox that suppresses showing emails from a hard-coded list of addresses that consistently spam me.

    This is of course quite primitive solution, but - to my frustration - I could not find a better way of doing it in Mailmate. There seems to be no way of implementing filters that just process the incoming mail and delete unwanted messages right away. So, if you could suggest (or implement) a better solution, it would be greatly appreciated :)

    (Frankly speaking, as much as I enjoy using Mailmate, the lack of such filtering feature is the single problem that made me consider switching to some other mail client.)

    In any case, I attach my mailboxes.plist - hope it helps in figuring out what is the problem.

  • benny

    benny February 22nd, 2014 @ 05:24 AM

    @Brad: 700K messages is likely to be more than MailMate can handle, but your other description sounds like MailMate also has a memory leak during import. That is, MailMate slows down after some time because the computer starts swapping. I did fix some memory leaks recently although it was not my impression they could result in the behavior you are seeing. You can try updating to the latest beta (Software Update preferences pane). MailMate should use at most 3 connections to the server, but if you were running multiple email clients (maybe even on multiple devices) then you might have hit the server limit.

    @Alex: I don't think the mailbox you mention is the problem. If you are using the latest beta then it might be the date-related mailboxes since I have made changes to the handling of those. You could try disabling the conditions of some of these mailboxes and then see if it affects the “hangs”. If the “hangs” are easy to reproduce then you could also try creating a process sample using “Activity Monitor”.

Please Sign in or create a free account to add a new ticket.

With your very own profile, you can contribute to projects, track your activity, watch tickets, receive and update tickets through your email and much more.

New-ticket Create new ticket

Create your profile

Help contribute to this project by taking a few moments to create your personal profile. Create your profile ยป

Mac OS X email client.

Shared Ticket Bins

Attachments

Pages