#2778 ✓fixcommitted

Attachment processing issue

Reported by Benedikt | March 16th, 2021 @ 01:29 PM

Hello Benny,

sometimes when sending a docx file attached to an email, recipients couldn't open it. I investigated a little bit and found out, that the file ending docx was supplemented by a quotation mark like this docx" (this sometimes also happens with pdf files). I'm pretty shure, that the file wasn't saved like this before adding it to an email. Furthermore I've noticed, that docx and pptx files has been renamed to mime-attachment.pptx or mime-attachment.docx.

I'm runnning MailMate 5776 with macOS 11.2.3 (20D91) and I'm using a mime certificate (sign by default).

Kind regards,

Comments and changes to this ticket

  • benny

    benny March 16th, 2021 @ 02:33 PM

    Could you give me an example of a full filename? And exactly how you attach it (drag and drop from where or maybe copy/paste)?

  • Benedikt

    Benedikt March 16th, 2021 @ 02:48 PM

    Thank you for your quick reply.
    I'm attaching via drag and drop usually. And all of the filenames contain surnames of other people, so I don't want to share them publicly. But I've noticed, that all of them contain german special characters like ä, ö, ü. If that doesn't help, I probably could write you an email.

  • benny

    benny March 16th, 2021 @ 02:54 PM

    I seem to be able to reproduce the opposite using Excel, that is, missing double-quotes at the beginning of a line.

    (You can use “Help > Send Feedback” to send me an example. You can probably replace a filename with something nonsensical and still be able to reproduce the issue.)

  • Benedikt

    Benedikt March 17th, 2021 @ 08:08 AM

    Just for the record: I've send you an email yesterday with some filenames causing the issue.

  • benny

    benny March 17th, 2021 @ 10:13 AM

    • State changed from “new” to “accepted”

    I did get them and I've identified the new bug, but it has also highlighted some (very old) known existing bugs/limitations in the generation/parsing of filenames for attachments. It might be best if I fix these instead of trying to make it work like it did before (which was just a bit less broken than it is now).

    In any case, I'm aware that the current state is not usable.

  • benny

    benny March 17th, 2021 @ 10:13 AM

    • State changed from “accepted” to “reproduced”
  • Benedikt

    Benedikt March 17th, 2021 @ 10:25 AM

    Thank your for your clarifications - please let me know, if I can help testing. Do have some hints to work around this bug in the meanwhile cause I've to rely on sending documents (e.g. renaming them)?

  • benny

    benny March 18th, 2021 @ 07:26 AM

    • State changed from “reproduced” to “accepted”

    I believe the next test release should make this work for you (r5778+) and it should make attachment name (and header) generation/decoding work better in general. There are still some things which can be improved in relation to the standards (RFC2231) which is why I've put this ticket into the accepted state. This is mainly related to better parsing of what other email clients might generate.

  • Benedikt

    Benedikt March 18th, 2021 @ 07:39 AM

    Thank you, Benny, that was quick! I've installed r5778 and did a quick test - so far no more renaming issues!

  • benny

    benny April 28th, 2022 @ 05:27 PM

    • State changed from “accepted” to “fixcommitted”

Please Sign in or create a free account to add a new ticket.

With your very own profile, you can contribute to projects, track your activity, watch tickets, receive and update tickets through your email and much more.

New-ticket Create new ticket

Create your profile

Help contribute to this project by taking a few moments to create your personal profile. Create your profile »

Mac OS X email client.

Shared Ticket Bins

People watching this ticket