#2237 ✓fixreleased
Stephen Chong

Content-type header in multi-part message missing

Reported by Stephen Chong | January 25th, 2019 @ 07:06 PM

In some circumstances when composing and sending an email, it seems that MailMate does not include a "Content-type:" header in the plain-text part of the multipart message.

My system: MailMate/5594 MacBookPro12,1/x86_64/4/10.14.2

This occurs for me when replying some emails. For those particular emails, the behavior is consistent. For other emails, it always includes the "Content-type:" header.

In the problematic case, for example, this is the relevant part of the raw message. Note that there is no content-type header after the message boundary.

MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: multipart/alternative;
 boundary="=_MailMate_99D9508C-BAFA-4EEA-99C4-9E7CC4DF1CB1_="
Embedded-HTML: [{"HTML":[536,12753],"plain":[91,7840],"uuid":"5C0FCD0F-3343-490F-9F1B-4A8AF9DB5BBB"}]


--=_MailMate_99D9508C-BAFA-4EEA-99C4-9E7CC4DF1CB1_=


Reply with html!!!


Cheers, Steve.

Note that the content-type header is missing regardless of whether I use Markdown or not in my reply.

Comments and changes to this ticket

  • benny

    benny January 31st, 2019 @ 12:18 PM

    (Are you sure this is the entire raw message? There seems to be some boundary strings missing.)

    Note that it is legal for a message to not have a Content-Type header if it's not needed. This is the case when the header could have been:

    Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
    

    Do you have problems with someone receiving these emails? I don't really mind if the header is always added, but I'm also kind of a minimalist, that is, I don't like to add headers which are not strictly necessary.

  • Stephen Chong

    Stephen Chong January 31st, 2019 @ 12:48 PM

    It's not the entire raw message, but it is a contiguous part of it. I can send you the entire email separately if you'd like.

    Yes, I appreciate that it is legal for the message part to not have any headers at all if the Content-Type is the default. However, I think that MailMate would normally include a content-type header in the message above that mentions "format=flowed" or perhaps "markup=markdown", based on its behavior on other emails I've written, right?

    I noticed this issue when a friend pointed out the message I sent was displaying strangely in his emacs email client. We looked at the message and the line immediately following the message boundary had been removed sometime between being sent from my SMTP server and arriving in his mail spool. (I speculate that something was converting the text encoding to ascii and then removing the first line after the message boundary, assuming it was a content-type header.) As a result, the first line of my message was interpreted as headers and not displayed as text.

    I appreciate that the problem is not with MailMate, but with some other tool in the email ecosystem incorrectly processing the email. I believe that adding the explicit header would let that tool and maybe others work better.

  • benny

    benny January 31st, 2019 @ 12:54 PM

    • State changed from “new” to “accepted”

    I'll note to force the generation of this header. It did take quite a few years before some buggy software out there made it necessary :)

  • benny

    benny February 1st, 2019 @ 12:58 PM

    • State changed from “accepted” to “fixcommitted”
  • benny

    benny May 27th, 2019 @ 01:05 PM

    • State changed from “fixcommitted” to “fixreleased”

Please Sign in or create a free account to add a new ticket.

With your very own profile, you can contribute to projects, track your activity, watch tickets, receive and update tickets through your email and much more.

New-ticket Create new ticket

Create your profile

Help contribute to this project by taking a few moments to create your personal profile. Create your profile ยป

Mac OS X email client.

Shared Ticket Bins

People watching this ticket

Pages