#1327 new

Mailmate crashing after last update

Reported by Tom | November 29th, 2015 @ 08:37 PM

Greetings! I've been getting lots of crashes with mailmate after the last update. It started with crashes on syncing 3 google accounts. I had to force quit several times. Once those were finally synced, I get random hangs and crashes, always necessitating a force quit. Mailmate has become unusable. I want to say it has something to do with gmail, but I can't be certain.


Comments and changes to this ticket

  • benny

    benny November 29th, 2015 @ 09:58 PM

    Thanks for reporting this. It's not a known problem. Have you allowed MailMate to send crash reports (see the General preferences pane)? If yes, have you provided a name for these crash reports? (I don't seem to be able to locate them.)

    Alternatively, upload some example crash reports.

    With respect to hangs then you can create a sample for me like this if you know how to use a Terminal window:

    sample MailMate 5 -f ~/Desktop/sample_mailmate.txt

    Thanks in advance!

  • Tom

    Tom November 30th, 2015 @ 01:35 AM

    Hi Benny....

    I've run a sample for you. I got a few crashes in a row before I tried sample, but then I got nothing but Mailmate working well. Just now I closed the app, then launched again, and it is now frozen. I ran the sample you instructed, and I've attached it to this message.

    I haven't been able to turn on crash reporting as it has mostly been crashing and I've had to use another email app.

    Thanks!.... Tom

  • Tom

    Tom November 30th, 2015 @ 01:39 AM

    Interesting! MailMate may not be crashing, but it is hanging for about 3-5 minutes. I get the spinning beach ball, and the app is unresponsive. Finder shows "Not Responding" so I have been force quitting. However, this time I didn't force quit but let it sit, and it un-froze after about 5 minutes.

    I'm going to turn crash reporting on.

    I believe it is doing this when I launch the app. Or close to the time I launch the app. I'll see if I can get it to repeat.

  • benny

    benny November 30th, 2015 @ 08:03 AM

    Thanks for the sample. The hanging problem seems to be related to the new OAuth2 support in MailMate. It's a bit technical, but when the so-called access token expires then MailMate automatically fetches a new one. This happens (bad design) on the main thread and for some reason it hangs or takes a very long time.

    Is your internet connection exceptionally slow/unstable? Do you have some kind of firewall enabled?

    In any case, try this:

    • Take the machine offline such that MailMate cannot connect to servers at all.
    • Go to “File ▸ Edit IMAP Account ▸ ...” and disable OAuth2 for all of your acccounts.
    • Take the machine online again.

    Then let me know if you still have any hangs/crashes.

  • Tom

    Tom November 30th, 2015 @ 01:48 PM

    Excellent. I'm having no problems now that OAuth2 is turned off.

    Yes, I have a firewall, but it is just the Mac OS firewall.

    Thanks for the help!.... Tom

  • benny

    benny November 30th, 2015 @ 02:07 PM

    • State changed from “new” to “cantreproduce”

    Ok, let me know if you think of something which you think might trigger the problem. I'd like to know why OAuth2 doesn't work for you.

  • Jonathan Bunde-Pedersen

    Jonathan Bunde-Pedersen December 1st, 2015 @ 08:46 AM

    I think I'm seeing the same issue. Attached sample as well.

    Edit: Should mention that I'm not seeing MailMate crash, but rather a very persistent beach ball.

  • benny

    benny December 1st, 2015 @ 08:52 AM

    @Jonathan: Your problem seems to be proxy related, but you can probably also work around it by disabling OAuth2. I'll look into the problem.

  • Jonathan Bunde-Pedersen

    Jonathan Bunde-Pedersen December 1st, 2015 @ 09:03 AM

    Ok, I'll try and disable and see how that fares.

  • benny

    benny December 1st, 2015 @ 09:04 AM

    @Jonathan: Do you have any proxy settings? Auto-configure script or anything like that?

  • Jonathan Bunde-Pedersen

    Jonathan Bunde-Pedersen December 1st, 2015 @ 09:06 AM

    No, no proxies. I've experienced the problem on multiple networks and I have no local proxy set up.

  • Honza Sládek

    Honza Sládek December 1st, 2015 @ 10:07 AM

    Hi there! I think I have the same problem as Tom and Jonathan. No proxies, auto-configure scripts and stuff in place. Started to happen after OAuth2. I'll try to turn it off as it helped Tom. Happy to provide crash reports or whatever you need.

  • benny

    benny December 1st, 2015 @ 03:12 PM

    @Honza: You are welcome to share a sample as described in this ticket. It'll help determine which problem you have.

  • Jonathan Bunde-Pedersen

    Jonathan Bunde-Pedersen December 9th, 2015 @ 09:53 PM

    @benny - just wanted to let you know that I haven't experienced any beachballs since disabling OAuth2.

Please Sign in or create a free account to add a new ticket.

With your very own profile, you can contribute to projects, track your activity, watch tickets, receive and update tickets through your email and much more.

New-ticket Create new ticket

Create your profile

Help contribute to this project by taking a few moments to create your personal profile. Create your profile »

Mac OS X email client.

Shared Ticket Bins

People watching this ticket