#124 ✓fixreleased
Erik M-H

Trashing junk messages mis-teaches SpamSieve

Reported by Erik M-H | May 4th, 2011 @ 01:23 AM

This took a while to figure out!

Every few days, after looking through my Junk unified folder in MailMate, I selected all the messages and hit to put them into the Trash.

I've used SpamSieve for many years; I've been using MailMate for about a month.

Over the last few days, I've begun noticing that SpamSieve has been getting worse and worse at identifying spam.

I've finally figured out that MailMate is telling SpamSieve that the messages I'm moving from Junk into the Trash are not spam! Naturally, SpamSieve then begins "learning" very much the wrong thing. :-/

Could this be changed?

Comments and changes to this ticket

  • benny

    benny May 4th, 2011 @ 06:54 AM

    • Assigned user set to “benny”

    Ouch, I'll look into this today. I keep all my junk messages (I don't get that many), so I may never have noticed this. I'm surprised no one else noticed this before (unless there is some extra variable that influences whether or not this happens). Well, I've had a report about SpamSieve not feeling as efficient as before – this could very well explain it.

    I'll update this ticket later when I've looked into it.

    Thank you very much for reporting this problem.

  • benny

    benny May 4th, 2011 @ 07:16 AM

    • State changed from “new” to “reproduced”
  • benny

    benny May 4th, 2011 @ 07:37 AM

    • State changed from “reproduced” to “fixcommitted”

    It was a general problem affecting all SpamSieve users. I recommend not deleting Junk messages until version 1.1.2 which I should probably try to get out today.

    I'm very sorry about the inconvenience.

  • Erik M-H

    Erik M-H May 4th, 2011 @ 11:42 AM

    r2085 fixes this completely, Benny. My guess is that my gigantic multi-year corpus insulated me from the error for a long while; then it took a while to notice the problem; then it took a while longer to realize that the problem was MailMate and not SpamSieve.

    If others are also long-time SpamSieve users and recent MailMate converts, it may explain why you've had few reports.

    I reset my SpamSieve corpus when I realized there might be a problem; doing so helped me see clearly what happened when I moved spam into the Trash. I feel curiously relieved now to have a corpus of only 315 messages. :-)

    Thank you so much for the quick fix. I've tested it thoroughly (including moving trashed spam messages back into Junk and trashing them again) -- and everything works exactly as expected. Hooray!

  • benny

    benny June 2nd, 2011 @ 10:32 AM

    • State changed from “fixcommitted” to “fixreleased”

Please Sign in or create a free account to add a new ticket.

With your very own profile, you can contribute to projects, track your activity, watch tickets, receive and update tickets through your email and much more.

New-ticket Create new ticket

Create your profile

Help contribute to this project by taking a few moments to create your personal profile. Create your profile ยป

Mac OS X email client.

Shared Ticket Bins

People watching this ticket

Pages